Date: 3/22/18 12:31 pm
From: judson hamlin <jhhamlin...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] New Brunswick Peregrine(s)
All winter, I have been observing a Peregrine Falcon that has been frequenting downtown New Brunswick (and, presuming it has been the same bird) the Rte. 1 bridge over the Raritan River a couple of miles downstream. The most common perching location is the old County Administration building on Paterson Street, now a semi-luxury high rise. Over the last week however, I have seen a second Falcon as well.

Last week, two birds were flying and hunting over Bayard Street and RWJ Hospital - there are numerous Rock Pigeons and Starlings everywhere. Today, earlier in the day, both birds emerged from the rooftop of the old Admin Building and took off towards the Bayard/RWJ area. Later I observed two birds come off the building and head over the train tracks towards the apartment buildings on the corner of Easton and Somerset.

Given the number of tall apartment buildings and food abundance, the environment appears to be compatible for rooftop nesting.

So, first - any JBer's in the area should keep their eyes up when downtown; and would there be a way to contact DEP for them to check the roof for signs of nesting? The building is private but does lease several floor to the State and County if that matters.

Juds0nHaml1n

Metuchen

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>