Date: 3/22/18 10:06 am
From: Diane C Louie <dclouie...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] This is why they are called Red-BELLIED Woodpeckers. :-) (photo)
Catesby (3rd edition, published in 1771, after his death) refers to the red belly in the name and his description of the bird, but he does not
depict it in his engraving.

http://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/dmisc/id/1658/show/1495

Diane Louie, Madison

On Mar 22, 2018, at 12:05 PM, Dave Oster <000004150120c36e-dmarc-request...> wrote:

Years ago I remember hearing about a naming protocol which held that the common name of a species should be based on subtle, individualistic
features rather than more obvious and widespread ones. Roseate tern and Red-bellied woodpecker were given as two examples--Roseate with a hint of rosy hue on under-parts during breeding season and the faint red wash of the Red-bellied. The intent of this protocol was to avoid duplicating more obvious features--white-breasted this and white-breasted that, etc.

Of course most birds are not named according to this protocol--common names are really a hodge-podge of historic appellations, common usage and insistent re-naming by the professionals.

For Red-bellied, I don't know that Red-napped Woodpecker would be best since there is already a Red-napped Sapsucker. I've sometimes thought that "Very Loud Woodpecker would be the most appropriate name!"

Dave Oster
Verona