Date: 3/21/18 9:39 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [COBOL] Wednesday Birding mostly in Jefferson county
We met Bob, the new campground host at Haystack, and we give him a 10!
No hassle to bird for an hour without paying fees. Madras pond off
Grizzly had ducks, Killdeer etc. If you want to visit, phone
541-948-6952 in advance for permission, and just notify someone at the
ponds when you arrive. You can park inside the gate to bird during open
hours. Pond at the south end of the golf course in Madras had ducks
including 3 GREATER SCAUP, not always easy to find. Good scope views of
the bill and nail, head shape, etc. They never lifted wings for us.
Metolius ponds had more variety including 2 swans that left as we
arrived. Wandered through Culver and to Round Butte with lots of
blackbirds and some raptors. Some of us made a swing through Redmond
Ponds on the way home and so the Am Pipit is on the list, but water is
very low, few birds. Thanks to Diane Burgess for ebirding the list
today.

Canada Goose
Tundra Swans
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Greater Scaup
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Common Merganser
Ruddy Duck
California Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Turkey Vulture
Bald Eagle - near Culver
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
Ferruginous Hawk - near Haystack
American Kestrel
Merlin, Culver area
Killdeer
Rock Pigeon
Eurasian Collared Dove
Mourning Dove
Downy Woodpecker - near Round Butte
Northern Flicker
Say's Phoebe
California Scrub-Jay
Black-billed Magpie
American Crow
Common Raven
Mountain Bluebird
Townsend's Solitaire
American Robin
European Starling
American Pipit
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird
Western Meadowlark, singing at Round Butte
Brewer's Blackbird
House Finch
House Sparrow
52 species
Birders today, Michael Thomas, Nicole Weprin, Larry Thornburgh, Joel
Tinsley, Mark Neuberger, Bob Sizoo, Annette Hildebrand-Lange, Ray
Pokorny, Diane Burgess, Kara Jakse, Sue Bertsch, Sherrie Pierce, Howard
Horvath, Judy Meredith. NEXT WEEK, early start for full day to Fort Rock
and Summer Lake. Good birding, Judy, <jmeredit...>