Date: 3/20/18 5:23 pm
From: Theodore Gilliland <tgillila...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] More audio recordings of Montague Plains Crossbills
Dear All,

I obtained some more audio recordings of the Red Crossbills at Montague
Plains on Old Northfield road. I have some clearer audio of the nesting
pair and other crossbills in the area. These recordings and spectrograms
are a bit clearer than I could obtain last time (on the 15th). The
recordings can be found on the following ebird post:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S43818701

On another note, while at Montague Plains recently, I observed what I
consider to be behavior on the part of birders/photographers that could
cause these birds to abandon their nest (e.g., people parking close to
underneath the nest to get out of the cold, jumping out to photograph when
the birds returned to the nest and closing doors loudly, etc.). It would
really be a shame if the birds abandoned their nest due to birders and
photographers, particularly given that this very likely represents a first
nesting record for one of the types of Red Crossbill. In this vein, I’ll
note that the best looks I had were actually at a good distance with a
scope. It was a more horizontal view of the nest and I could comfortably
watch the female rearranging materials in the nest, etc. Very beautiful.

Best regards,

Ted Gilliland

South Hadley, MA

--