Date: 3/13/18 3:59 pm
From: Laura Paulson <laura...>
Subject: [texbirds] Fwd: eBird Report - Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), 13-Mar-2018
Hello Texbirders,
It took me a while to get this posted because we got the opportunity as
volunteers to see some of the burned area of the refuge this afternoon.
Thought y'all would like to hear that though the area involved in
containing the fire was over 300 acres, the actual burned parts are a
mosaic within the larger fire zone. Mostly what burned was invasive Guinea
Grass, dry brush and downfall from previous flooding. Birds were singing
and butterflies were flying within the burn zone already. Public access to
Pintail Lakes was restored this afternoon with some restrictions along the
river and the southern end of the trail. We went out there this afternoon
and water levels are perfect for waders and shorebirds. Numbers were up.
Can't wait to take people out there in the morning!
As for today's walk, it started out as a "birding by ear" walk. We could
hear them but we couldn't see them for what seemed like the longest time.
Then the sun came out and things popped! It was fabulous! The Ringed
Kingfisher put on a show. A Sora came out to play. While we were looking at
the coveted Tropical Parula someone piped up "there's an owl in the box"
and, sure enough, staring at our backsides was an Eastern Screech Owl! At
one point while we were watching the parula, the Ringed Kingfisher was
calling from one side and a Northern Beardless Tyrannulet from the other.
It might take me a while to come down from the excitement of today!

Tomorrow is our last walk of the season. There will be no walk on Thursday.
John and Sue will lead walks this week on Friday and Saturday. No walk on
Sunday. After that, John and Sue will continue the Thursday through
Saturday walks through the end of March. Meet at the Visitor Center by 8:30

Hawk Watch begins this Thursday, March 15 and runs through April 15, every
day of the week from 8 am-1 pm on the levee. Spotters, counters and
visitors welcome and appreciated.

Laura and Steve Paulson
USFWS Volunteers
Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge