Date: 3/13/18 2:59 pm
From: Donald Sweig via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Late Winter Mississippi Kite Nest Check
A couple of weeks ago I decided to check on the status of the physical nests that the Mississippi Kites, that I had monitored the last two summers, had used.
In North Arlington, both the 2016 and 2017 nests, at or near 17th and 18th and Utah, were gone and no longer evident in the trees.
Likewise, the nest that the Kites used, near Greenspring Gardens Park in Annandale in 2016, and 2017, is now gone from the tree.
The nest in the large tree on the ridge above Monticello Park in Alexandria, which a pair of kites first constructed and used in 2017, is, in-spite of the strong winds recently, still in the tree.
I was never able to actually find the nest used by the pair of birds that I was monitoring over near the St. John’s Church, so I was not able to check on that status.
It will be interesting to see if any of the birds return to their nesting sites in Arlington, in Annandale, or in Alexandria in 2018.
There was also a pair of kites that nested in the vicinity of Lake Braddock High School in Fairfax County. That nest was also not located in 2017. There were doubtless other nesting Mississippi kites in the Northern Virginia area in past years.
Returning Mississippi kites should begin to be visible in the sky in late April early May. They are often easiest to find when they first return and are flying around looking for a nesting location.
Hopefully, at least some of them will nest in a location where they can be easily seen and enjoyed.
Please post to Va-bird, or perhaps send me an email, if and when you see any Mississippi kites this Spring.
Thank you,
Donald Sweig
Falls Church, Virginia

Sent from my iPad