Date: 3/13/18 2:42 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Rufous Hummer Coast Range 3/12/18
I have worked in the Coast Range of mainly Coos County for going on 30 yrs.
but have never kept track of when I first detect Rufous Hummingbird
arrivals other than saying it is weeks later than on the coast. On Monday I
heard my first Selasphorus buzzing through some flowering salmonberry at
about 1200’ maybe 10 miles east of Myrtle Point which is probably close to
normal as salmonberry has just recently started flowering at this
elevation. This is a month later+ than first Selasphorus arrivals on the

Other breeders singing included: Pacific Wren, Hutton’s Vireo, Song
Sparrow, and Brown Creeper. Pretty quiet up there still. Heads up that
there are quite a few trees down from snowfall damage at lower elevations
in SW OR now (where it doesn’t snow every winter or the snow was wet and
heavy, mainly alder down). It’ll be a while before road crews can clear it
all up especially on less used roads- main line roads are all open though.

75 in Myrtle Point and eastside of Coos Bay yesterday- super nice.

Happy early spring birding!
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!