Date: 3/13/18 11:35 am
From: <mschenckee...> [RIBIRDS] <RIBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [RIBIRDS] Ocean State Bird Club Upcoming Events
Saturday, March 17, 8:30 am
Cape Ann Day Trip
Gloucester & Rockport Massachusetts

Cape Ann, Massachusetts, routinely has great diversity of wintering sea birds. We will spend a day stopping at various spots known for finding interesting species, including Gloucester Harbor, Eastern Point, Andrews and Halibut Points, Rockport’s Granite Pier, Pigeon Cove, and spots along the coastline. Some birds recently reported include Razorbills, Thick-billed Murre, Black Guillemot, Iceland Gull, Glaucous Gull, and Slaty-backed Gull. What will be there in a few weeks?

Additional Information: You MUST let the leaders know in advance that you are coming, and whether you will drive, if you can take passengers, or if you would like to grab a ride with someone else… we will coordinate rides, riders, and meeting spots. Even last-minute, we are glad to have you jump in but please contact a leader first so we know how everyone will fit. When we hear you are coming, we’ll send detailed directions to the meeting spot up there.

Meeting location: We will meet at the Gloucester State Fishing Pier at 8:30 am and car/van pool around the route. We can arrange spots near Providence to meet for those who want to share a ride up to Cape Ann.

Leaders: Don Heitzmann & Jana Hesser – <don.heitzmann...> mailto:<don.heitzmann...> & <janaehesser...> mailto:<janaehesser...>

Saturday, March 24, 6:45 pm
Timberdoodles at Tillinghast Pond
Tillinghast Pond, West Greenwich

Situated in the woods of West Greenwich is the Nature Conservancy's Tillinghast Pond Managemnet Area. This 2,054 acre forested preserve is home to an amazing diversity of birds as well as several miles of hiking trails. Meeting just before sunset we will hike the Logger's Trail a .7 mile path through a managed successional forest. Along the way we will look and listen for the flight displays of American Woodcock while keeping an ear open for local owls including Northern Saw-whet, Barred & Great Horned Owls.

Meeting Location: We will meet at the main parking area on Plain Road

Leader: Matt Schenck <mschenckee...> mailto:<mschenckee...>

Join us on Facebook!