Date: 3/13/18 10:57 am
From: Ali Sheehey <natureali...> [kerncobirding] <kerncobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [kerncobirding] Swainsons hawk mitigation in jeopardy.
Dear Birders

I remember when I first started birding in the early 1980’s the sighting of a Swainson’s Hawk was exceedingly rare after decades of DDT caused nest failures. Their numbers have rebounded remarkably but their nesting and foraging grounds are disappearing rapidly under the quest to solar panel the desert.
Kern County holds 14+ million dollars in trust to buy mitigation lands but they want to steal this money as they have done with so much other mitigation money and put it in the general fund.
TODAY at 2 pm the Kern County Board of Supervisors is voting on this matter.. It is imperative that they know that Swainson’s Hawks and wildlife in general have a broad base of support. If annoying can spare the afternoon to attend this meeting and where green or a shirt with a bird on it, that might help us avoid another tragedy of the commons.
Read this letter to the editor on this subject.

Yours in nature,

Alison Sheehey
PO Box 1832
Kernville, CA 93238