Date: 3/13/18 9:41 am
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Least Bittern and Upland Sandpiper

> On Mar 12, 2018, at 10:53 PM, Jamie Simmons <sapsuckers...> wrote:
> Do we know that observers are looking/listening for LEBI as much now as in the past (or even spending time in the right areas)?
> Not exactly a stroll in the park to look for.
> Or were there places where they were heard by some without much effort?
> Jamie Simmons
> Corvallis

It may be that LEBI was seen rarely in just a very few locations, one of which is no longer accessible or good habitat. I have only encountered the species twice in Oregon. Once was at the former boat launch dike (Cole Island Dike Road) near Malheur NWR headquarters. That bird was heard one spring by many when the dike was accessible. Fluctuation of the lake level had subsequently eliminated the marsh vegetation that was there.. The only other detection that I made was by boat near Rocky Point, Upper Klamath Lake, where Owen Schmidt and I saw one on some floating vegetation on the edge of the marsh. Others had seen one there as well. That bird may have represented a single pair in a large area.

I suspect hat they are still round somewhere. There is no reason to think that they were ever common in Oregon. The inquiry by the OBRC makes good sense in my opinion.

Jeff Gilligan

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
OBOL archives:
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>