Date: 3/13/18 9:13 am
From: Tim Spahr <tspahr44...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Enfield, Etna, and Hanover Red Crossbills
Hi Birders, yesterday I poked around Enfield, Etna, and Hanover in the
western part of the state. Really wonderful habitat for all kinds of
things, and I can't wait to get back up there in the summertime to see what
cool boreal stuff is breeding there!

Red Crossbills were located from each of the areas I birded. There must be
a ton of these right now in this part of the state. I found birds
predominantly in white pines (so long as they were cone-laden) but also
mixed habitat with red pine, white pine, and red spruce paid off as well.
There were also birds observed in a few spots gritting along the side of
the road.

The highest density of birds appeared to be in Hanover along Trescott Road
and in the associated Trescott property there. I'd love to have more time
to poke around that area.

At the end of the day I stopped along Mountain Road in Lempster, and found
both White-winged and Red Crossbills (along with Pine Siskins) gritting in
the road.

For non-crossbill lovers: there are Pine Siskins everywhere up there. I
think I had them every time I stopped the car.

good birding!

Tim Spahr

Visit this group at
For more options, visit