Date: 3/13/18 8:19 am
From: DAVID A LEATHERMAN <daleatherman...>
Subject: [cobirds] Larimer and Jackson miscellany
Norm Lewis and I made a run up Poudre Canyon to the Moose Visitor Center at Gould (Jackson) and then up to North Park (Walden and west to Lake John and Delaney Buttes Reservoirs area, plus unknown areas ("The Jackson Triangle") where we were misled by incorrect road delineations in DeLorme Atlas).

Snowpack on Cameron and in North Park is alarmingly LOW. Very few birds seen all day.

At Moose Visitor Center were 2 Gray Jays and 3 Pine Grosbeaks. No rosy-finches, tons of both chickadees, few Steller's Jays, very little else besides Red-winged Blackbirds and few juncos. Coolest things were two Red Fox (one almost-tame red one and one wary, downright spooky and melanistic "silver" one ).

In North Park our target was Greater Sage-Grouse but we only managed to find droppings. They are no doubt present but tough to find when they are hiding among sage plants and there is very little snow to provide contrast. Saw one Mountain Bluebird, couple Rough-legged Hawks and a Golden Eagle near Delaney Buttes Reservoir.

Old feeder location at the Fliniau home in Walden near the school is no longer active. Avian biodiversity in Walden consisted of House Sparrows, Red-winged Blackbirds and European Starlings (we probably missed Eurasian Collared-Doves). Tour groups preparing for grouse marathons, eat your heart out.

Norm and I did better on mammals than birds: bighorn sheep, pronghorn, porcupine, red fox, red squirrel (heard only), Wyoming ground-squirrel and sagebrush vole.

A fun day afield if one is not hung up on what you hope to see vs. what you do see.

Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins

Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins

To view this discussion on the web visit<CY4PR06MB3094D2876F0EDAAE3CB35E6EC1D20...>
For more options, visit

Join us on Facebook!