Date: 3/13/18 12:57 am
From: Eric Hough <thebirdwhisperer22...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] CAZ: Wickenburg vulture masses
On the afternoon of 3/11/18 I saw huge swirling flocks of Turkey Vultures descending to roost near the bridge in Wickenburg (Maricopa Co.). Through multiple times counting by 10s and 50s, my highest single estimate was 550! There were apparently many more around Wickenburg, as Chrissy Kondrat-Smith texted me that she had 100 TUVU over by the high school on the other side of town. The favored roosting site are the tallest Eucalyptus trees just northeast of the pedestrian bridge and across the street from the McDonald's, with smaller numbers roosting in the cottonwoods along the river bed and another tall Eucalyptus grove to the southeast on the Simpson Ranch. Looking at eBird, Wickenburg appears to be getting the largest concentrations of any locality that birders have submitted checklists for in the state. By comparison, the highest count for TUVU at Boyce Thompson Arboretum (in eBird anyways) is only about half this number. Videos and photos in my eBird lists at these links:

Yesterday (3/12/18) I had my first-of-season Bell’s Vireos and Wilson’s Warblers, along with more arriving Lucy’s Warblers, on the Hassayampa River upstream of the rest area.

Good birding,

Eric Hough
Wickenburg, AZ

Sent from my iPhone