Date: 3/12/18 10:53 pm
From: Jamie Simmons <sapsuckers...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Least Bittern and Upland Sandpiper
Do we know that observers are looking/listening for LEBI as much now as in
the past (or even spending time in the right areas)?
Not exactly a stroll in the park to look for.
Or were there places where they were heard by some without much effort?

Jamie Simmons

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 6:53 PM, Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>

> *
> I am inclined to suspect wintering grounds as problematic for both
> species. lpn
> On Mar 12, 2018, at 10:00 AM, Bill Tice wrote:
> It appears to be a good decision by the committee to add these two species
> to the review list. Regarding Upland Sandpiper, one has to wonder why they
> died out in Oregon with apparently plenty of adequate habitat? I
> understand that the colonies in Washington died out before those did in
> Oregon. Regarding Least Bittern, one may wonder the same thing as well -
> with an abundance of breeding habitat, why are they gone (or at the least
> died way back)? One theory I heard for the sandpiper was that changes in
> its wintering grounds were the most likely factor. The bittern's
> dissppearence seems more of a mystery. Any thoughts?
> --
> Bill Tice
> :
> "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."
> George Harrison

Join us on Facebook!