Date: 3/12/18 5:40 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwal
Today's Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk attracted 25 birders, and 48 bird species.  Among our highlights was our first Osprey of the season; four pileated woodpeckers rummaging among the leaf litter and downed tree parts along the entrance road; and a pair of Blue-winged Teal.  Birders planning to join us soon are reminded the our start time will switch to 7AM beginning on April 2.

Canada Goose  1
Wood Duck  1
Great Blue Heron  2
Great Egret  3
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Sora  4
Least Sandpiper  10
Pectoral Sandpiper  14
Semipalmated Sandpiper  3
Solitary Sandpiper  4
Greater Yellowlegs  2
Lesser Yellowlegs  4
Mourning Dove  1
Chimney Swift  60
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1    /cs
Eastern Phoebe  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
White-eyed Vireo  3
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  5
Carolina Chickadee  4
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
House Wren  1
Carolina Wren  4    /cs
Eastern Bluebird  3
Veery  1
American Robin  11
Gray Catbird  3
European Starling  1
Common Yellowthroat  5
American Redstart  1
Magnolia Warbler  1
Northern Cardinal  3
Indigo Bunting  1
Red-winged Blackbird  40
Common Grackle  11
American Goldfinch  8

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 8AM (7AM from April through October), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Nancy VehrsFriends of Huntley Meadows Park