Date: 3/12/18 12:40 pm
From: 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Southern Anne Arundel Trumpeter Swans, 3/12
This morning, on my way in to work, there were two Trumpeter Swans on a small pond south of the intersection of Muddy Creek Road and Owensville Road.

I had field work in the afternoon and found 3 TRUS on Muddy Creek (the actual creek not the road) that swam downstream to join two Tundra Swans. That was at 1:30 pm. I texted Joanne Howl and we started an independent swan chase. She relocated the Trumpeter Swans that have been hanging out on Owensville Road west of Muddy Creek Road. Joanne texted back that she had 2 TRUS at the Owensville pond at 1:40 pm then 2 in the pond on Muddy Creek Road at 2:00 pm. So, it doesn't seem likely that these birds could move around between the three location quickly enough to be seen by both of us with fairly close timing. My guess is there are at least 7 Trumpeter Swans in the area!
David Moring (not sure if he's on this list) has been reporting Tundra/Trumpeter Swans from Muddy Creek at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, which is where the Muddy Creek creek birds are. He said his were distant but if you hear them, you don't really need to see them very well to separate them.

I got some awful video using my phone. They were pretty far away and swimming away but you can hear the occasional clucking sound that is WAY different from Tundra Swans. When they fly, they bugle. That's really something to hear :)

Tyler Bell
California, Maryland

To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on the web at
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here -

Join us on Facebook!