Date: 3/12/18 12:39 pm
From: Laura Paulson <laura...>
Subject: [texbirds] Fwd: eBird Report - Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), 12-Mar-2018
Hello Texbirders,
Santa Ana is open again, post wildfire. Yay! Many areas, including Pintail
Lakes, are still closed for public safety, so we spent our time at and
around Willow Lakes. The fire may actually prove to be of benefit to the
refuge as the controlled burn done to contain it allowed for the
opportunity to clear out brush and downed wood from past flooding. From the
tower, no burned areas are even visible though small areas of smoke could
be seen where brush continues to smolder.
Last night's cold front put a hush on things this morning but birds were
still seen and many more were heard. We did find a singing parula but
didn't get eyes on it to verify it was the Tropical Parula reported
yesterday. For those looking for it, today's parula was heard in the
company of a mixed flock from the Willow Trail, just a bit east of the
trail to the photo blind. A Hooded Oriole was eating at the feeding station
visible from inside the Visitor Center. A Sora deigned to show itself and a
female Ringed Kingfisher called, flew and perched for us. All-in-all, a
nice way to spend a morning.

Please note that the guided walk schedule is changing. We are migrating
north ourselves; Tuesday and Wednesday will be our last walks. No walk on
Thursday. John and Sue will lead walks this Friday and Saturday, and then
they will continue to lead walks Thursday, Friday and Saturday for the rest
of March. All walks leave the Visitor Center at 8:30 am.

Hawk Watch begins this Thursday, March 15 and runs through April 15, 8 am-1
pm, on the levee. Spotters, counters and visitors are welcome and

Laura and Steve Paulson
USFWS Volunteers
Santa Ana National Wildlife Refgue
Alamo, Texas