Date: 3/12/18 10:31 am
From: Rick Bowes <rbowes...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 3/12 Marshfield - 3/11 Duxbury Beach
3/12 8:00 Snow Geese (4) continue at Daniel Webster Sanctuary. Then on to
Brant Rock jetty where I found a female Harlequin along with 4 distant
sandpipers, likely Purples.

3/11/18 Duxbury Beach's road is still officially closed to vehicles except
for Gurnet/Saquish residents. I'm told that washover damage is extensive
the length of the beach with the worst being south of High Pines. Much
ocean-side dune damage the length of the beach that is visible only from the
beach itself. Considerable earth moving been going on since before the
second storm relocating sand and stones from the road back to the depleted
dunes; and as of Sunday, the road for the most part is in decent shape as
far south as the 3rd xover. Tomorrow's forecast is not encouraging in terms
of dune erosion despite the fact that the peak astronomical tides are
2.5-3.0 feet lower than the first storm.

Birdwise at least one of the wintering Snowy Owls has been seen hanging out
in the marsh north of High Pines. Hopefully, I can get out this weekend to
see if others are still here.

Rick Bowes, Duxbury, MA

<mailto:<rbowes...> <rbowes...>

Duxbury Beach info at: