Date: 3/12/18 9:07 am
From: Marshall Faintich via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Briery Branch Red Crossbills
I think that this flock of Red Crossbills are permanent residents. I have
seen crossbills there in the months of February, March, April, and August.
Just have to be there at the right time or come back a little while later if
you miss them the first time.

You need to take Briery Branch Road (Route 924) up toward the Reddish Knob
summit. About a mile or so before the summit there's a large reddish gravel
patch where four roads come together. Route 924 becomes fire road 85 and
continues as a one lane road up to the summit (sharp left turn). Fire road
85 also goes up to the right. WVA road 25 goes down to the left.

The easiest way to get there from Northern Virginia, although perhaps not
the shortest, is to take I-66 west to I-81 south. Take exit 243 off of I-81
and turn left (south) on Route 11. When you get to Route 701, turn right
(west) and take 257 all the way to Ottobine. You'll have to do a short jog
left and then right on Route 42 through Bridgewater to get onto Route 257.

From the south, take the Mt. Crawford exit 240 to route 11 and go north to
Route 257. You'll have to do a jog right and then left on Route 42 through
Bridgewater to continue on Route 257.

When you get to Ottobine, turn left and continue on Route 257, You will get
to a right angle left turn, and then a right angle right turn at a small
gas/convenience store. Route 257 becomes Route 924 and will take you all the
way there.

After seeing the Red Crossbills, you can continue all the way to the Reddish
Knob summit for a great 360 degree view.

Hope you get to see these neat birds!

Marshall Faintich

Crozet, VA

<marshall...> <>

In real life, the shortest distance between two points is never a straight
line, so you might as well enjoy the journey !!