Date: 3/11/18 5:09 pm
From: Dixie Sommers via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Mason Neck State Park, Fairfax County
Six birders enjoyed a lovely walk at Mason Neck State Park this morning,
sponsored by the Audubon Society Northern Virginia. We were thrilled to
watch a very high flight of about 90 Tundra Swans, in wonderful light. We
watched them move across Belmont Bay and into the distance, noisy all the
way. We also observed four swans on the bay, 2 adults and 2 immatures,
seen at good distance through scopes. We thought maybe, then maybe not, that
they might be Trumpeters, as 2 Trumpeters were reported at Occoquan
yesterday, which is across the bay from Mason Neck. We settled on "maybe

There were relatively small numbers of waterfowl, but a nice variety.
Largest numbers were Lesser Scaup and a raft of American Coots we watched
being harassed by a Bald Eagle. In the woods, we were happy to encounter a
Fox Sparrow at the tree downed by last week's windstorm, off the boardwalk
near the picnic area/playground. We also found three Hermit Thrushes.
Perhaps these guys are gathering up for migration? One Tree Swallow put in
a reminder that spring is near.

Audubon Society Northern Virginia walks and field trips are posted here: Come join us!

Mason Neck SP--Visitors Center, Fairfax, Virginia, US Mar 11, 2018 8:20 AM -
10:49 AM

Protocol: Traveling

1.5 mile(s)

Comments: Scoped bay from visitors center, then walked the Bayview trail
and lawn around visitor center.

44 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 41

Tundra Swan 90

swan sp. 1

Wood Duck 2

Gadwall 4

Mallard 3

American Black Duck 8

Ring-necked Duck 8

Lesser Scaup 200

Red-breasted Merganser 12

Ruddy Duck 100

Horned Grebe 1

Double-crested Cormorant 9

Great Blue Heron 5

Bald Eagle 4

American Coot 150

Ring-billed Gull 100

Mourning Dove 2

Red-bellied Woodpecker 3

Downy Woodpecker 1

Eastern Phoebe 1

Blue Jay 4

American Crow 3

Fish Crow 1

Tree Swallow 1

Carolina Chickadee 2

Tufted Titmouse 6

White-breasted Nuthatch 1

Carolina Wren 5

Golden-crowned Kinglet 1

Eastern Bluebird 6

Hermit Thrush 3

American Robin 22

Northern Mockingbird 1

European Starling 2

Fox Sparrow 1

Dark-eyed Junco 6

White-throated Sparrow 22

Song Sparrow 4

Swamp Sparrow 1

Eastern Towhee 1

Northern Cardinal 7

Red-winged Blackbird 50

Common Grackle 1

American Goldfinch 3

View this checklist online at

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (