Date: 3/11/18 4:54 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Some Coos birds of late
On Saturday we had a Cape Arago Audubon trip to Bandon- big turn out, just
over 20 people! No rain until the PM, here are a few highlights:

1- ROCK SANDPIPER with rockpiper flock at south jetty.
Several alt plumaged PIGEON GUlLLEMOTS at Face Rock with hundreds of C
Murres. The Pelagic Cormorants are in alt plumage now also.
Around 20 Tree Swallows at Bandon Marsh (Ni-les’tun unit).
Turkey Vultures in several locations, back in good numbers now.

This morning I went up to Bethel Mtn in southwest Coos. The coast was
socked in with fog but I was just above the fog and it was totally sunny
and 50s already by 0800. Gorgeous morning up top, highlights:

many singing meadowlarks
1- SAY’S PHOEBE (although one wintered near quarry this was likely a
migrant as overwintering birds are normally already gone by now).
Several VG SWALLOWS back at the quarry where they breed.

Did yard work most of day- had a Black Phoebe displaying over the yard and
the green-backed, male Selasphorus that showed up in early Feb was doing an
Allen’s-like display all day in the back yard.

Merry springtime!
Tim R
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!