Date: 3/11/18 4:45 pm
From: Dixie Sommers via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] "Sully Shrike" -- YES, and other notes
Thanks for your report, Howard. Very nice photos of both the Northern
Shrike and the Fox Sparrow.

One reason the Shrike may be more jittery is human disturbance. I visited
Sully Woodlands on February 18, and my first encounter was a guy flying a
drone. I believe this disturbed our bird. When I walked down to the meadow
I saw the Shrike moving around and eventually flying to the far north end of
the meadow and perching on the highest trees. This is not the usual type of
shrike perch, as they like lower perches from which they can hunt. After the
drone guy left, it came back to the more usual area and perched on a short
tree in the meadow.

I contacted Fairfax County Park Authority about the drone. The prompt
response included the statement that " Under Park Authority regulations,
flying a drone or other remotely controlled aircraft within the parks is
prohibited unless approved of in writing by the Park Authority." Areas
where drone use is approved have clear signage.

The message also included " To report unauthorized drone use, please contact
the Fairfax County Police Department. If there is an immediate safety risk,
call 911, or if a non-emergency, 703-691-2131. The Park Authority relies on
the Police Department to enforce its park regulations." So if you see
someone flying a drone in a Fairfax County park, please call.

Also, those of us who are photographing this bird should think about not
going after more photos if we already have good images.

Dixie Sommers