Date: 3/11/18 3:35 pm
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Eagle update
The first thing I noticed when I got to the nest is that the adult was
either sitting on the rim or standing in the nest. Until now she was
always down, with mostly her head showing. After a while I saw her lower
the head and was either adjusting something or feeding.  The male sat in
a nearby sycamore but left after 15 minutes.  I hung around for an hour
hoping he would come back with food but that didn't happen so my dog and
I walked on down to and along the river.  Saw a Great Blue and a good
number of Common Mergansers.  Coming back I noticed the same head-in-the
nest routine so I picked up my scope and moved it to a different
location.  Luckily there was a small opening in the nest (like a missing
brick) that allowed me to see that she was indeed feeding a fuzzy-headed
youngster  There could very well be two but I only saw her tear up food
and feed one.  After a while she turned around and settled over the
chick/s.  Neat to see how careful they are not to step on them.

A couple of days ago I saw the oddly colored male House finch again.
Love being able to recognize certain birds.

I was less happy to see a Cedar Waxwing in the quince shrub.  He was
fluffed up, never a good sign.  After a while he flew over to the ground
bath to get a drink.  A normal looking one joined him and they flew off
together.  Made me feel a little better that he wasn't alone.

Bruni Haydl

Charles Town, WV
Join us on Facebook!