Date: 3/11/18 3:36 pm
From: Stephen Johnson via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Fox Sparrow at feeders (Fairfax County)

Lynn and I have been fortunate to have a Fox Sparrow at our feeder almost every day for the past 9 days. Since we have only had one show up once or twice before over the years, I'm sure this is a lingering bird, the same one every day. It was here most of the day today, 11 March.

In past years, the occasional "one-shot" appearing Fox Sparrows here mostly scratched at the leaves. But this one spends most of its time pecking the ground below the feeder - we've only observed a little leaf-scratching this time. My guess is, it has grown accustomed to the constant rain of food from the imprecise feeding of the other birds at the feeder.

Haven't heard it sing at the house yet, like several I've heard out in the parks. I hope to before it heads north.

Steve Johnson
Fairfax, Virginia