Date: 3/11/18 1:25 pm
From: Mike Grant <mikecurlew...>
Subject: St. Louis Audubon Woodcock/Owl Prowl Trip Sat., 3/10 - Trip Report
An amazing and energetic group of 54 people mobbed Busch CA in hopes of owls
and woodcock.

Starting at Hampton Lake we had Swamp, Field and Tree Sparrows and an
Eastern Phoebe. The group split there and the other group may have had
other sparrows. Although there had been Gadwall and Teal on the lake after
25 or so people walked out onto the overlook area both of those species
disappeared leaving only a couple of Wood Ducks and some Canada Geese.

We tried for owls at that parking lot and near the Fallen Oak Trail but no

The group then relocated to the Blue Grosbeak Trail in Weldon Spring CA and
walked to the field on top of the hill. After just a few minutes the
woodcocks began calling and over the next 20 minutes all got excellent looks
at calling and flying birds.

If anybody wants the checklists officially shared with them send me an
email. I recorded the birds I saw and others likely saw different birds and
eBird allows you to add those to your list.

Thanks to the other leaders, Sue, Dick and Dave for pitching in with the
large group.

Our next walk is at Horseshoe Lake on March 17 with Mike Thelen.

Mike Grant

Chesterfield, MO