Date: 3/11/18 1:21 pm
From: Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...>
Subject: Ben Geren golf course
Yesterday I spent four hours on the course birding with Jay Randolph and
three members of the Master Naturalists club. We had a grand time driving
all over in golf carts, avoiding golfers, and spotting birds.
A total of forty species were seen. Highlights included newly arrived
Purple Martins and a large flock of Fish Crows. We also saw an incredible
display of flight when an accipiter took off after an unsuspecting
songbird. They have crossed a lot of open space, over berms and sandtraps,
twisting and turning. I have no idea what the small bird was. Everything
was gray yesterday morning. But it did survive.
I don't know that I've ever seen an accipiter fly like that over open
space. A Peregrine after shorebirds, yes. But not an accipiter.

Sandy B
Fort Smith

Join us on Facebook!