Date: 3/11/18 1:20 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Alabama Swamps - Eurasian Wigeon, White-fronted Geese
I made my way out to Tonawanda WMA and Iroquois NWR today, in the hopes of
adding EURASIAN WIGEON to my Niagara County big year. And I found one(!) in
Meadville Marsh, Tonawanda WMA. eBird considers this in Genesee County but
the county line goes right through this marsh and the wigeon, as well as
many of the birds here, appeared to be on the Niagara County side of the
line. I made my own personal eBird location for this list! J There were also
525 TUNDRA SWANS here. I think it is likely that this wigeon is one of the
two that have been frequenting North Feeder Marsh further southeast down Rt
77. Today, several birders and I saw one Eurasian Wigeon at North Feeder
Marsh. Turning around and scanning Kumpf Marsh on the Iroquois NWR side of
the road, we found six GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE. Cayuga Pool held my
first AMERICAN COOTS of the year (29), as well as 650 RING-NECKED DUCKS.

Good birding!

Willie D'Anna

Wilson, NY