Date: 3/11/18 10:42 am
From: Larry Cartwright via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Sunday morning Dyke Marsh Walk- Waterfowl Migration in Full Swing
Eight birders joined me today for the walk at Dyke Marsh. The walk is
sponsored by the Friends of Dyke Marsh and occurs every Sunday at 8:00 AM
except during the Christmas Bird Count season. Waterfowl have largely moved
out, but reduced flocks of several waterfowl species were still present
today. We observed four Wood Ducks in the channel as seen from the north
end of the Haul Road peninsula boardwalk. The highlight was a flyover of
126 vocal Tundra Swans at high altitude, a sure indication that waterfowl
migration continues. Land birds were quite active with Red-bellied
Woodpeckers pairing off or driving off competitors in preparation for the
breeding season. We heard singing Song Sparrows at the marina and all along
Haul Road. And a couple of tireless House Finches. On bird heard singing
when I left my car at the marina at 7:45 was still at it three hours later
as I prepared to leave. Bald Eagles were sitting on the Haul Road and
Tulane Drive nests today and a Mourning Dove appeared determined to find a
suitable nesting site near the marina restrooms.

Dyke Marsh Wildlife Preserve, Fairfax, Virginia, US Mar 11, 2018 8:04 AM -
11:16 AM

Protocol: Traveling

1.25 mile(s)

43 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 310

Tundra Swan 126

Wood Duck 4

Mallard 20

American Black Duck 2

Ring-necked Duck 2

Lesser Scaup 85

Common Merganser 23

Red-breasted Merganser 4

Horned Grebe 5

Double-crested Cormorant 10

Great Blue Heron 3

Bald Eagle 5

Red-shouldered Hawk 1

American Coot 32

Ring-billed Gull 500

Herring Gull (American) 5

Great Black-backed Gull 5

Mourning Dove 7

Belted Kingfisher 2

Red-bellied Woodpecker 11

Downy Woodpecker 5

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 3

Blue Jay 3

American Crow 3

Fish Crow 5

crow sp. 35

Carolina Chickadee 3

Tufted Titmouse 3

White-breasted Nuthatch 2

Brown Creeper 1

Carolina Wren 13

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2

American Robin 50

European Starling 20

White-throated Sparrow 15

Song Sparrow 20

Swamp Sparrow 1

Eastern Towhee 1

Northern Cardinal 20

Red-winged Blackbird 20

Common Grackle (Purple) 1

House Finch 5

American Goldfinch 2

View this checklist online at

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (

Larry Cartwright

<prowarbler...> <mailto:<prowarbler...>