Date: 3/10/18 5:47 pm
From: Rad Widmer <radwidmer...>
Subject: Riverlands, Saturday afternoon
I spent a few hours at Riverlands this afternoon, and enjoyed seeing some
new year birds. In two-pecan pond, there were some rusty blackbirds mixed
in with the grackles and red-wings (thanks to Dave and Tom for the tip).
There were also at least 10 snipe. In Ellis Bay between Heron Pond and the
dam were a greater and lesser yellowlegs (I saw them next to one another
and there was a notable size difference), and a third yellowlegs further
out. On Redschool road between Confluence Rd and the duck club trailers,
there was a singing Western Medowlark. The fields north of Redschool along
that stretch were recently burned and should be attractive to golden
plovers (I didn't see any today).

Lots of ducks around -- shovelers, green-winged teal, ruddies, all the
megansers, scaup, good numbers of bufflehead, a few golden-eyes and
canvasbacks, horned and pied-billed grebes, etc. Two young trumpeter swans
in Ellis Bay, and a few pelicans were around.

And a belated note, last Sunday there was a group of 13 Ross's Geese and 4
Snow Geese in and around Teal Pond. Apparently the same group was still
there today (seen by Tom and Dave).

The water levels are low and there are lots of mud-flats right now, though
the dam gates appear to be closed, so the water may start to rise.

Rad Widmer
St. Louis

ABA Birding Code of Ethics

Join us on Facebook!