Date: 3/10/18 4:55 pm
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Rockbridge Co birding
I headed out this morning to see what I could find in the southern part of the county. The 3 Ross' Geese that we have been seen for the past few weeks were at Old Farm Rd pond just outside of Lexington. The ROGO were seen earlier in the week in Buena Vista by Kerry Kilday. Along with the ROGO, were 7 Ring-necked Ducks, 1 Ruddy Duck, a bunch of Canada Geese, 2 Wilson's Snipe, Red-winged Blackbirds, Song Sparrows, Field Sparrows, and House Finches.

I then headed to Locher Tract, which is a DGIF wildlife management area outside of Natural Bridge. At LT, there were 9 Wood Ducks - very, very skittish -, Song Sparrows, White-throated Sparrows, 2 Hermit Thrushes, 2 Ruby-crowned Kinglets, a bunch of Juncos, 1 Pileated WP, 1 Downy WP, 1 Fish Crow, and a few Bluebirds.

On the way back to Lexington, I headed to Buffalo Creek along Bunker Hill Rd (between Forge Rd and Wesley Chapel) to look for Common Mergansers. There were 6 COMO on the creek. We've been seeing a number of COMO this winter along the major creeks of the county and on the Maury River and Lake Merriweather.

I've posted a few photos on Flickr, if you're interested.

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept