Date: 3/10/18 2:33 pm
From: 'Hugh Kingery' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] BBS routes available

Here's our annual invitation to qualified observers to participate in the Breeding Bird Survey “BBS.”Participants must have the skills to identify the likely species on theirroutes by sight and by sound.
Since 1966 (1968 in Colorado and theWest) the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, originally US Fish & WildlifeService, now the Biological Research Division of the US Geological Survey, hassponsored the Breeding Bird Survey program to monitor birds across the US (andCanada, with the Canadian Wildlife Service). Last year volunteers ran almost3000 routes in the US & Canada.
Scientists use BBS results to derive population trends forthe species that the system samples well.
Coloradohas 132 designated BBS routes, and we consistently run more routes than allother states in the U.S. except Texas and California.
A BBS routecovers 24.5 miles. Observers record all the birds they hear and see during a3-minute stop, then drive a half-mile to the next stop. You run the route, onceonly, during the peak of the songbird singing season, from May 25 on the plainsto July 15 in the high country. The ability to identify species by sound iscrucial--I record 75-85% of the birds on my routes by sound, not sight.
Theobserver should have the ability to identify, by sound and sight, most of the species likely to occur along thatroute. On my routes, I identify over 75% of the birds by sound, without everseeing them. We seek a commitment ofthree years, because the BBS prefers route data run by the same person forat least 3 years.
Let me knowif you would like one or more. The following list is organized geographically(sort of). I hope that we can fill most of them with qualified observers whohave good ears.
Thefollowing lists the available routes; I can send more detailed descriptions toyou if you’d like to consider one but want more information. I know it’s old –fashioned,but I use the DeLorme (printed on paper) Atlas to locate routes.

Hugh Kingery

Key to routedescriptions:
Number and name County Page in DeLorme Atlas

East Central

17043 Gordon Creek Washington p 97
Start4 miles E and 8 miles S of Anton; north 9 miles on CR HH; E 2 miles on CR 12; N14 miles on CR KK to end.

17313 Flagler Washington, Kit Carson, & Lincoln p 97
Starts15 miles SE of Anton at Wash CR 4; Southon CR on CR NN and KC Rd 7, 6, & 5through Flagler to end.

17028 Two Buttes Prowers & Baca p103
Startat intersection of CR 26 & CR D; east on CR D 9 miles; S on Colo 89 to end.

17328 Pritchett Baca p 101
Start12 miles S of Pritchett on CR 12; go E one mile, then N on Roads 13 and 12 toend.

17327 Timpas Otero p100
Starts15 miles west of LaJunta. From Colo. 10, go south on GR 14 for 9 miles, east onGR 11 5.5 miles to Timpas, south 2 miles, east one mile, then south on GR 18 toend.

17220 Haswell Bent, Kiowa p 99
Start6 miles N of Las Animas; N 7 miles on CR 10; swing around SE edge of Adobe CrRes. SWA, then N 4 miles on Road 17; E on Road E 2 miles; N 5 miles on Road 19,E 1 mile on Road K, then N on Road 20 to end.

17321 Sheridan Lake Prowers, Kiowa p 103
Starton Prowers Co. Rd 30 at Rd VV; north on VV to Kiowa CR W; then east on W toend.

South Central

17056 Trinchera Las Animas p. 102,93
Startin Trinchera; westerly on CR 2.2 and 22.0 & 24.6 roads to end.

17226 Cokedale Las Animas p 93
Starts20 miles west of Trinidad, a mile south of Trinidad Lake; Go westerly on CF53.1 and 18.3; northwesterly on CR 53.5 through Spanish Peaks WA and 41.1; thennortheasterly on CF 41.7 & 42; then NWly on CR 46 to end.

17375 Gardner Huerfano P82
Startat intersection of FR 400 & 404 (20+ miles west of Beulah and 10 miles SWof Bishops Castle); south on FR 400 to Gardner, west on CR 550 to Malachite; Son CR 572 to end.

17368 Westcliffe Custer, Fremont p.71
Starts2 miles west and a mile north ofWestcliffe; east ½ mile on CR 170; north on CR 215 (Copper Gulch Road) toFremont CR 29; east a quarter mile to CR 27A + CR 28 to CR 3 and end.

San Luis Valley and Southwest

17055 Alamosa Conejos, Alamosa p91-90
Starts12 miles E of Manassa on CO 142; North on CR 28to CR Z; west on CR Z to CR 24;N on CR 24 (Alamosa CR S-112 to end.

17422 Cortez Montezuma pp75, 85
Start6 miles N of Dolores on Colo. 526; south on 526 to Colo 104; South on 104 &CR 30 & 29 to US 160; skip 2 miles,then south on CR 27, west on CR H, south on CR 23 to end.

Central and North Mountains

17033Walden Jackson p17
Startsabout 15 miles NW of Walden: south on CR7 past Lake John turnoff, on CR 5 pastDelaney Buttes SWA; east on CR 24 to end.

17354 Gold Hill Boulder p29
2-3miles west of Boulder on Colo 119: Go NW on Fourmile Canyon Road and Gold HillRoad to BC Rd 95; through Ward and CRs 100, 93, and 96 to End.

To view this discussion on the web visit<162120c0883-c8d-8c80...>
For more options, visit

Join us on Facebook!