Date: 3/10/18 1:23 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Two Raven Nests in downtown Morgantown
On April 29, 2017, I reported 4 juvenile Common Ravens on the ground along
the Decker's Creek Trail in downtown Morgantown less than a block from a
nest on the underside of the Pleasant Street bridge.

This afternoon I saw 2 nests on the underside of that bridge. The one I saw
last year on the Morgantown High School end of the bridge had a bird
apparently incubating. I saw the head; later the bird stood up and looked
like it might be turning eggs.

I also saw another nest on the underside of the bridge on the trail side of
the creek above the end of the dog park. This nest had lots and lots of
white excrement on and near it. The angle of view is almost directly
straight up so that one can not see into the nest, but I did see a bird fly
over my head flying toward that nest as I walked along the trail so I think
it's safe to assume it is also occupied. Perhaps the birds are offspring of
last year's successful nesting in the other nest.

I'll be checking again in a few weeks to see how the nests fare this year.

I saw 18 other species between the parking lot next to the Dominion Post
newspaper building and the High Street bridge. Most were common species,
but these are worth noting:

Red-shouldered Hawk--1
Red-tailed Hawk--1
Eastern Bluebird--3