Date: 3/10/18 10:36 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Oceanside (Tillamook) reported possible Condor
It is now timely for me to mention a report from the Siltcoos River mouth, Lane County, about a month back of a bird “much larger than the Bald Eagles” that was sitting on driftwood with its wings spread “like a cormorant.” Presumably the same bird was reported by a different person, unaware of the first report, the next day soaring over the river mouth, showing some white in the wings when it turned.

This report came to me via the Forest Service. After discussing the report with the FS staff person, I notified a very small number of people in that part of the state to check the area and to notify landowners in the Cape Blanco sheep pastures. The bird was not seen again.

I privately asked a senior biologist in Arcata whether any unreported condors had been in the Humboldt area; he said no. An OSU researcher then checked into whether any releases in the region were known. She was told no.

Those of us involved in this report decided not to post it widely owing to the sensitive nature of the species and the likelihood of an erroneous report. We speculated that the bird might possibly have been a TV, which can look large when spreading its wings and can flash silvery on a sunny day.

But you never know.

Alan Contreras

Eugene, Oregon

> On Mar 10, 2018, at 10:18 AM, dawn v <d_villa...> wrote:
> I got this message via the TillamookBirder website that I no longer maintain (to my shame).
> "Is it possible that I have seen a "Condor" above the town of Oceanside in the past two days? It seems to have the under-wing markings similar to California Condor and appears to be much larger than Turkey Vultures."
> I'm thinking he may be seeing one of the sub-adult BALD EAGLEs that hang out around the rocks there?
> dawn v
> Lincoln City/Nelscott
> POST: Send your post to <obol...> JOIN OR QUIT: OBOL archives: Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!