Date: 3/10/18 9:54 am
From: Marc Ribaudo via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Fwd: eBird Report - Occoquan Bay NWR, Mar 10, 2018

The Northern Virginia Bird Club visited Occoquan Bay NWR in Woodbridge this morning. Mirroring my own recent visits here the birding was very slow for long stretches, but then we would hit some good activity. By the end of the walk we had tallied 58 species. Waterfowl diversity has dropped, but numbers were good, due to the immense scaup flock off Deephole Pt. Road. Mixed in were a few canvasback and bufflehead, and single redhead and red-breasted merganser. A horned grebe transitioning into breeding plumage was a nice find. A large flock of black ducks was in the marsh at the end of Easy Rd, along with a few wood ducks. Raptors were well represented with many bald eagles, a kestrel, 4 red-tails and 3 red-shoulders. We did not see many sparrows, but both fox and field sparrows were singing, as was a towhee that perched up high to give us uncharacteristically good views. A brown thrasher at the edge of parking lot was a nice find. The complete list is below

Of note is that a recent controlled burn at the refuge has scorched large areas of what was once productive meadow or grassland habitat. Hopefully this will make these areas more attractive to the grassland birds, like meadowlark, that used to be regulars.

Marc Ribaudo

Occoquan Bay NWR, Prince William, Virginia, US
Mar 10, 2018 7:31 AM - 11:21 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.88 mile(s)
58 species

Canada Goose 120
Wood Duck 8
Northern Shoveler 1
Mallard 12
American Black Duck 70
Canvasback 6
Redhead 1
Lesser Scaup 2000
Bufflehead 30
Hooded Merganser 5
Red-breasted Merganser 1
Wild Turkey 5
Horned Grebe 1
Double-crested Cormorant 16
Great Blue Heron 12
Black Vulture 7
Turkey Vulture 5
Osprey 2
Bald Eagle 14
Red-shouldered Hawk 3
Red-tailed Hawk 4
American Coot 1
Killdeer 1
Ring-billed Gull 110
Herring Gull 25
Great Black-backed Gull 4
Mourning Dove 5
Belted Kingfisher 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4
Downy Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 3
Pileated Woodpecker 1
American Kestrel 1
Blue Jay 6
American Crow 2
Fish Crow 45
Carolina Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 2
Winter Wren 2
Carolina Wren 8
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Eastern Bluebird 6
Hermit Thrush 2
American Robin 17
Brown Thrasher 1
Northern Mockingbird 2
Field Sparrow 1
Fox Sparrow 4
White-throated Sparrow 17
Song Sparrow 6
Swamp Sparrow 3
Eastern Towhee 3
Northern Cardinal 6
Red-winged Blackbird 50
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
Common Grackle 1
American Goldfinch 1

View this checklist online at

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (