Date: 3/10/18 9:22 am
From: Allen Bryan via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Interesting Buteo- Clarke County- possible Harlan's Hawk?
While in Clarke County this morning I observed an interesting buteo both perched and in flight. It was an unusually dark bird and at first I attempted to ID it as Rough-legged Hawk and/or a very dark juvenile Red-tailed Hawk (albieticola) while perched but characteristics did not appear to fit either.  I got several photographs while perched and then got out the car and as it flew obtained several more.  I have tentatively IDed the bird as a juvenile Harlan's Hawk (?) but will take input from those who have experience/exposure with similar type birds.
The bird was on Borden's Spring Road about .9 miles west of Carter's Line Road.

Enjoy each day,
 Allen Bryan Winchester & Richmond, Va.