Date: 3/10/18 9:02 am
From: Joe Coleman via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Fox Sparrow, Hermit Thrush, Raven, lots of Towhees Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve
While in the mid-20's when the walk began, the 8 participants had a very
pleasant walk at Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve. The group took the Greenway
east to the eastern edge of the preserve and then looped back to the parking
area via the beaver pond. We were greeted almost immediately by a flock of
Cedar Waxwings feeding next to the offices as well as several raptors and
vultures perched in trees that we later saw riding thermals in the sky after
the day warmed up into the upper 30's. After we started east on the Greenway
we found our first of 11 Field Sparrows as well as two Hermit Thrushes. A
little further down the Greenway we had three male Eastern Towhees
counter-singing around a single female. These were the first of astounding
total of 15 towhees which were mostly males. While we did get nice looks at
a couple of female towhees one wonders how many more there were who weren't
visible. At one point a silent Common Raven flew over and shortly afterwards
a Fox Sparrow posed for most of us in some wet scrub on the eastern side of
the preserve.

For a complete list of the birds observed at Banshee Reeks see the eBird
report, submitted by Jane Yocom, below.

The regular monthly free bird walk (every 2nd Sat) at the Banshee Reeks
Nature preserve is sponsored by the Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy (
<> & the Friends of
Banshee Reeks ( <> );
information on both and their upcoming events can be found on their

Good birding!

Joe Coleman and Bryan Henson

Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve, Loudoun, Virginia, US Mar 10, 2018 7:58 AM -
10:22 AM

Protocol: Traveling

1.5 mile(s)

35 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 156

duck sp. 2

Black Vulture 2

Turkey Vulture 15

Red-shouldered Hawk 2

Red-tailed Hawk 5

Ring-billed Gull 125

Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 1

Mourning Dove 2

Red-bellied Woodpecker 2

Downy Woodpecker 1

Northern Flicker 1

Pileated Woodpecker 2

Blue Jay 12

American Crow 15

Fish Crow 3

Common Raven 1

Carolina Chickadee 5

Tufted Titmouse 2

White-breasted Nuthatch 2

Carolina Wren 8

Eastern Bluebird 12

Hermit Thrush 3

American Robin 7

Northern Mockingbird 5

Cedar Waxwing 32

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 3

Field Sparrow 11

Fox Sparrow (Red) 1

Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) 35

White-throated Sparrow 24

Song Sparrow 6

Eastern Towhee 15 Lots of good habitat

Northern Cardinal 16

Brown-headed Cowbird 4

American Goldfinch 1

View this checklist online at

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (