Date: 3/10/18 6:02 am
From: Tim Spahr <tspahr44...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Montague Crossbills nesting (red & pitch pines; Norway Spruce)
Hi Birders, it seems the crossbills out at Montague (reported yesterday by
Josh Rose) are actually nesting. It would be great if we could get some
recordings of these birds to see which type is nesting in the state.
Confirmation of any crossbill breeding in Massachusetts is a pretty big

Keep in mind regular old phone recordings are just fine for determining
flight call types. I'm happy to listen to anything anyone sends along.
Feel free to send me the files directly to this address.

Good luck getting recordings!

And by the way, we should now be looking at any other large stands of red
pine, pitch pine, and Norway Spruce to see if there are other birds present
or nesting.

Thanks and good luck!

Tim Spahr

Join us on Facebook!