Date: 3/9/18 2:23 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Coos Barrow's Goldeneye 3/6/2018 and today
Barrow’s are much more regular at the interior lakes east of the Willamette-Umpqua lowlands. On the outer coast they are regular only south to Newport, and only there in very small numbers. They were formerly a semi-regular bird at Waldport but I think not so in the last 20 years.

Alan Contreras

Eugene, Oregon

> On Mar 9, 2018, at 2:16 PM, Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> wrote:
> We seem to have more BAGO in our area (photo is from Holy Waters at Lost Creek Lake)
> <>
> Karl Schneck
> "As age comes on, one source of enjoyment after another is closed, but nature's sources never fail." John Muir
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 11:48 AM, Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...> <mailto:<timrodenkirk...>> wrote:
> Roger Robb was in the neighborhood on Tuesday and found a male BARROW'S GOLDENEYE off of Pigeon Point area in the Empire portion of Coos Bay. You can look for it at the bay overlook (small turn off) across from the funky octagonal-shaped house a little before the 6-mile marker on the road to Charleston from Coos Bay. The place was loaded with waterfowl when I went out to look for the Barrows. Instead of looking right for it I started counting Brant (at least 150) and suddenly there was the male Barrow's. Several Common Goldies in the area also. Probably well over 1,000 ducks in the area making finding the Barrows a bit of work. I saw a couple Eared Grebes also. RT & C Loon, RB Mergs, Bufflehead, RT/Western/Horned Grebes, Greater Scaup, etc. etc. After checking out the Barrows a few minutes I started re-counting Brant. When I tried to refind the Barrows it had disappeared. I was only out there 20 minutes- very birdy for sure.
> This is our third Barrow's in the last 10 yrs- definitely a lot less common than on the north coast. Nice find Roger!!
> Tim Rodenkirk
> Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!