Date: 3/9/18 1:30 pm
From: Jim Walsh <jimbonahant...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Going to the Mass Audubon Birder event on Sunday?
Dear Friends,

If you are going to attend the Mass Audubon event on Sunday at UMass
Boston, please stop by the "Keep Nahant Wild" table to learn more about
Northeastern University's plans to install *a 60,000 square foot office and
classroom building and parking for 200 cars *right in the middle of East
Point, conservation land jutting almost four miles out into Massachusetts
Bay. It will make a dramatic publicity photo for Northeastern as it
destroys wild habitat important to migrating and coastal bird life.

Nahant has met criteria for ornithological significance which would be
impacted significantly by the proposed construction, including large
fallouts of migrating birds. 162 birds have been documented at “East Point
Sanctuary”. A number of *state-listed birds *(endangered, threatened or of
special concern) occur at East Point, including the* endangered *Short-eared
Owl and American Bittern, and th*e threatened *Northern Harrier, Northern
Parula, Blackpoll Warbler, and Mourning Warbler. East Point is on the
pathway for land birds* as they move along the coast in spring and fall.
The undeveloped areas provide habitat for the land birds known as a “*migrant
trap*”. *The habitat is diverse*, from shoreline, to meadows, fields,
shrubs and trees, hills and valleys, attracting many diverse species. *Birds
feed and nest successfully* in its wild, peaceful and undisturbed “valley.”

If you would like more information Contact Jim Walsh at 781-367-2007
<(781)%20367-2007> or <jimbonahant...> or <KeepNahantWild...>

*Jim Walsh, Nahant*

* the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all
inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our
children's future. And we are all mortal.John F. KennedyAmerican
University, June 10, 1963*

Join us on Facebook!