Date: 3/9/18 11:49 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos Barrow's Goldeneye 3/6/2018 and today
Roger Robb was in the neighborhood on Tuesday and found a male BARROW'S
GOLDENEYE off of Pigeon Point area in the Empire portion of Coos Bay. You
can look for it at the bay overlook (small turn off) across from the funky
octagonal-shaped house a little before the 6-mile marker on the road to
Charleston from Coos Bay. The place was loaded with waterfowl when I went
out to look for the Barrows. Instead of looking right for it I started
counting Brant (at least 150) and suddenly there was the male Barrow's.
Several Common Goldies in the area also. Probably well over 1,000 ducks in
the area making finding the Barrows a bit of work. I saw a couple Eared
Grebes also. RT & C Loon, RB Mergs, Bufflehead, RT/Western/Horned Grebes,
Greater Scaup, etc. etc. After checking out the Barrows a few minutes I
started re-counting Brant. When I tried to refind the Barrows it had
disappeared. I was only out there 20 minutes- very birdy for sure.

This is our third Barrow's in the last 10 yrs- definitely a lot less common
than on the north coast. Nice find Roger!!

Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!