Date: 3/9/18 8:51 am
From: Marshall Faintich via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] R: doing real science
Because Marlene publicly criticized me, I feel that I have the right to

"(2) You need to read information more carefully than most people tend to
do. Marshall is talking about the bird eating Autumn Olive fruits, but I
never said it was doing that. In fact, no Autumn Olive fruits are anywhere
to be found come fall (they are VERY popular with mammals and birds and are
quickly taken when they ripen). "

First of all, no one on this list other than the moderator has the right to
limit discussion on any topic. If you don't want to read the comments of
others, either ignore them or don't post a comment in the first place.

Many of the readers of this list server belong not only to read about bird
sightings, but also to learn about birding. "Real Science" is about
discussing and testing hypotheses, and not about defending one's position to
the death when evidence to the contrary is presented. I know that you did
not state that this sapsucker was eating autumn olive berries. My question
was if this sapsucker is indeed a Yellow-bellied, and perhaps had been in
your area for more than the period in which you observed it, could it have
previously eaten autumn olive or other red berries that resulted in the red
nape. I am trying to learn here, and not criticize you, but your defensive
attitude must be preventing you from understanding this.

As for as understanding real science and how it should be conducted, I have
a Ph.D. in astronomy, have been the principal investigator on five
government funded innovative research projects, directed multiple corporate
research projects, served on multiple NASA working groups, and at one time,
managed a $100 million research program involving a wide range of research
topics. So I do believe that I understand how to "do real science."

I am also willing to admit when I have made a mistake or rushed to a hasty
and erroneous conclusion. My personal rule for identifying a rare bird
species is to first rule out every other possible species, and then ask
others who know more than I do as to their opinion. Or I may post a photo
with the term "possible" and ask for comments and the opinions of others.
Real science should be good science.

Marshall Faintich

Crozet, VA

<marshall...> <>

In real life, the shortest distance between two points is never a straight
line, so you might as well enjoy the journey !!