Date: 3/9/18 5:16 am
From: Emily Southgate via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] woodcocks near Aldie on the Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy evening with woodcocks
Ten of us heard and saw numerous woodcocks last night, from about 6:15 to
7:15. They were peenting all over, and we frequently heard the descending
chips, and occasionally the ascending wing whir. Only a couple of times did
anyone see the whole flight. It was odd to hear so many descending chips
with so few whirs, as if they were flying up silently but then chipping as
they descended. At least there was no question that there were at least
10-12 in the area and we did see several flying in at about 6:15.

Other observation: we also heard a screech owl doing its quiet call (not
the screech).