Date: 3/8/18 2:41 pm
From: Lona Pierce <lona.pierce...>
Subject: [obol] yellow-bellied sapsucker -- yes!
Saw the Scappoose YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER today between noon-1. It was easy to see in the decidious trees along the Crown Zellerbach Trail, near Bird Road. I walked to the left onto the trail from Bird, and he was in the deciduous trees lining the deep trench, just a short distance. The sapsucker was leisurely flying from tree to tree, pulling tufts of moss from the trunks. The pieces were falling down so even when he was on the wrong side of the tree for viewing it was easy to tell where he was. Very close to the trail, but I did not get a photo. For additional birding turn around and walk to the east on the trail. Small wetlands and open fields usually offer a variety of species. Miller Road has lots of parking, off of Columbia Blvd.

Lona Pierce

Join us on Facebook!