Date: 3/8/18 11:02 am
From: Derek Hill <derekthehill...>
Subject: [cobirds] Barn Owl Weld

Last night around 10:30pm from my front porch in Milliken (Weld), I heard a very distinct unfamiliar screeching call that sounded approx 3 doors down. A few seconds later I heard it again closer, seemingly atop my neighbors house, and again less than a minute later quite a bit farther away. The only thing that came to mind was Barn Owl, and the call matched up perfectly with some recordings online. I'm thinking the only similar call might be a young Great Horned, if they would be fledged and mobile this early, although the call was longer and harsher than any recording I could find for juv. GHOW. My wife also mentioned hearing a nocturnal screech from the yard last week. Will try to follow up the next few nights for more observations.

Good birding,
Derek Hill
Milliken, CO

To view this discussion on the web visit<5b4fb11e-469f-45f9-82ed-134abf877026...>
For more options, visit

Join us on Facebook!