Date: 3/8/18 8:26 am
From: Jim Green <jkgbirdman53...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Wed. March 7 Mont Co evening bird walk
Last evening I led the first of three joint MBC/ANS (Mont Bird Club/Audubon Naturalist Society).

I normally do three locations starting on the bridge scanning the Potomac at Reilly’s Lock. Variety of waterfowl here included a Redhead amongst a flock of Greater Scaup, all 3 mergansers, an Amer Wigeon and 3 different grebes - Pied-billed, Horned and Red-necked.

Second stop was at Hughes Hollow. Ducks were minimal here with only flyover Wood Ducks and Hooded Mergansers and partially hidden views of Ring-necked Ducks. We had brief glimpses of the continuing Marsh Wren only when it flew brief distances and buried itself in the cattails. The setting sun made for some great landscape views.

(Earlier in the day while scouting for the trip I counted at least 24 Tree Swallows so they’re back in good numbers and the unique calls of the Pied-billed grebes they make on potential breeding grounds.)

Last stop was the old sunflower field on Sycamore Landing Rd for American Woodcock display. Although they were not out in great numbers the two (possibly three) did not disappoint. We enjoyed multiple displays on a chilly evening. Everybody had great looks at one on the ground while peenting. First peent was heard at 6:30 and last at 6:51pm.

Thanks to the 7 people who joined me for a nice evening.

I have 2 more similar trips next week on the 13th and 15th. Meeting time is at 4:30pm on the bridge at Reilly’s Lock.

Jim Green
Gaithersburg MD

Sent from my iPhone

To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on the web at
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here -
Join us on Facebook!