Date: 3/7/18 10:47 pm
From: Eddie <emgiles62...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Announcing BBC Workshop: Recording Bird Sounds

With the moderator's permission...

BBC Workshop:  Recording Bird Sounds in the Digital Age by Dr.
Timothy Spahr

In this workshop, we will discuss recording and analyzing bird
vocalizations. Rather than concentrate on sophisticated recording gear,
we will discuss simple recordings made with phones and digital cameras,
and then graduate to discussing small hand-held devices and also
external microphones. There are several free sound-processing software
packages available such as Audacity, and we will also discuss how to use
these simply and effectively for improving recordings. Lastly,
recordings deposited in eBird checklists are being added to the Macaulay
Library at Cornell and we will discuss how to prepare and insert these
recordings in your checklists.

This workshop will take place on Monday, March 19th, 2018, from 7:00 PM
to 9:00 PM at the Reading Public Library, 64 Middlesex Avenue in
Reading, MA.

The fee for this workshop is $10 for BBC members and $20 for
non-members. Seating is limited. Light refreshments will be served and
all proceeds will benefit the BBC Young Birders Scholarship Program.
Advance registration is required; please preregister with BBC Workshop
Co-Chair, Eddie Giles at <emgiles62...>

*About Our Speaker…*

Tim Spahr got his start birding on the Dayton, Ohio CBC in 1977.  After
birding for a year or two, Tim's birding interests waned and he shifted
hobbies to astronomy.  After obtaining a PhD in astrophysics, Tim
returned to the birding scene with the same enthusiasm he had as a
child.  During the last 15 years Tim has spent countless hours birding
in and around Massachusetts and also many other locations as he traveled
for work.  Tim's current interests lie in documenting and recording
owls, as well as recording the flight calls of Red Crossbills in hopes
this may help determine if they are separate species.

Edward M. Giles, director
Brookline Bird Club, Inc.
Join us on Facebook!