Date: 3/7/18 4:08 pm
From: Reames, Clark -FS <creames...>
Subject: Re: Prescriptive burns by “firehawks”?
I have seen the same behavior when riding a tractor bush hogging a pasture. Hawks just know from experience that there will be small mammals getting pushed out of cover and they will sit in the trees and watch over the operation, occasionally dropping in to pick up something. I have also had assorted dragonflies follow along and even ride on the moving tractor so they can pick off small insects that rise up from the disturbance..

[Forest Service Shield]

Clark Reames
Wildlife Program Manager

Forest Service
Malheur National Forest

p: 541-575-3474 x3474
c: 541-620-0681
f: 541-575-3002

431 Patterson Bridge Rd. P.O. Box 909
John Day, OR 97845<>
[USDA Logo]<>[Forest Service Twitter]<>[USDA Facebook]<>

Caring for the land and serving people