Date: 3/7/18 2:01 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Salisbury & Scotland Road - 03-07-2018
David Moon and I led today's Wednesday Morning Birding program out of
Joppa Flats Education Center for a small number of true diehards in very
adverse weather conditions.  We visited Salisbury Beach State
Reservation and Common Pasture off of Scotland Road in Newbury. We
lasted until about 11:30 before thickening snow drove us back to Joppa.
Skies were overcast and then snow began late morning; temps were in the
low 30s; and winds were very strong, E-NE/25-30 mph with higher gusts.

Our list:

Salisbury Beach --
Gadwall (2) - pr.
American Black Duck (~ 35)
Common Eider (~ 20)
White-winged Scoter (~ 30)
Black Scoter (2)
Common Goldeneye (~ 15)
Red-breasted Merganser (5)
Common Loon (1)
Red-tailed Hawk (1)
Ring-billed Gull - common.
Herring Gull - common.
Great Black-backed Gull
Snowy Owl (1) - marsh, left side of entry road.
American Crow (2)
European Starling
Song Sparrow (2)

Common Pasture & en route --
Canada Goose (~ 150) - sod farms, Scotland Rd.
American Wigeon (~ 20)
American Black Duck - common.
Mallard (~ 100)
Northern Pintail (~ 24)
Green-winged Teal (~ 12)
Ring-billed Gull (~ 25)
American Robin (5)

[Red-winged Blackbird (~ 25) - Parker River Refuge HQ.]
[Common Grackle (~ 8) - Parker River Refuge HQ.]

Next week, Wednesday Morning Birding will visit Cape Ann for the fifth
and last time this season. Meet at Friendly's at 9:15 on the Rt 128
rotary in Gloucester.
For those wishing to travel from Joppa, two vans will be leaving around
8:30. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call David Moon
or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944

Join us on Facebook!