Date: 3/7/18 1:47 pm
From: Ellen Cantor <ellencantor...>
Subject: [obol] Eugene Wednesday Morning Birders: Mt Pisgah
From Dennis Arendt:

The Eugene Wednesday birders went to the south side of Mt. Pisgah, through
the arboretum and into the fields and forests beyond. A member of the
group reported that a Saw-whet Owl had been seen in this area on Monday.
When we were far south of the arboretum at the trail that leads west to the
river, we split into two groups; one went to the river, the other stayed
near the edge of the woods and searched for the owl. The group that stayed
near the edge of the woods heard the owl calling. When the groups
rejoined, the owl could not be relocated. The entire list of birds follows.

Wood Duck – flying over

Mallard – on the pond on the way to Mt. Pisgah

Common Merganser

Double-crested Cormorant

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret – near the pond on the way to Mt. Pisgah

Turkey Vulture – only one

Red-tailed Hawk

Mourning Dove

Northern Saw-whet Owl – heard only

Anna's Hummingbird

Red-breasted Sapsucker - one

Hairy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker – heard only

American Kestrel

Black Phoebe – at the river

Steller's Jay

California Scrub-Jay

American Crow

Black-capped Chickadee

Brown Creeper

Bewick's Wren

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

American Robin

European Starling

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Fox Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Golden-crowned Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow – only one

Spotted Towhee – very common

Lesser Goldfinch - small group flitting at the tree tops

Steve Dignam, Ellen Cantor, Jim Regali, Steve and Judy Franzen, John Polo,
Tom Cable, Sylvia Maulding and Dennis Arendt

Join us on Facebook!