Date: 3/7/18 11:50 am
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fwd: eBird Report - Jodrey State Fish Pier, Mar 6, 2018
Two lists from yesterday and the day before.  Some of my numbers from
Jodrey pier are very similar to Paul Roberts's.

Jodrey State Fish Pier, Gloucester

Mar 6, 2018 2:10 PM - 3:15 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: I stopped at the fish pier today to look for the various alcids being seen here and came up with quite a few. I did not see any peregrines on the clock tower.
17 species

Common Eider 70
Surf Scoter 4
Long-tailed Duck 16
Bufflehead 2
Red-breasted Merganser 14
Common Loon 9
Horned Grebe 3
Red-necked Grebe 1
Dovekie 3 2 off end of pier, 1 off side of pier (the side you can drive along). None in breeding plumage.
Thick-billed Murre 3 2 together off right corner of pier, 1 straight out 100 yards or so; saw thickish bills (but not thick enough to be razorbills) and black faces on all 3 and white gape on one of them. These birds had black throats and necks and were essentially in breeding plumage.
Black Guillemot 7 Minimum number. When I was leaving at least 1 was still off end of pier, while SIX were off same side of pier as the third dovekie, in two groups of 3. None anywhere near breeding plumage. This is certainly the most guillemots I have ever seen in the inner harbor. (And the same goes, I think, for the other 2 alcids.)
Herring Gull 200
Iceland Gull (kumlieni) 2 1 first-winter, 1 sub-adult
Lesser Black-backed Gull 1 Adult on roof with other gulls; stood out for being both a lighter shade of black than the GBBGs and also slightly smaller than the herring gulls it was standing next to.
Great Black-backed Gull 35
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 25
Fish Crow 1 seen and heard

View this checklist online at

Topsfield Fairgrounds, Topsfield
Mar 5, 2018 2:35 PM - 3:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
Comments: Went to look for the snow goose and g-w teal.
7 species

Snow Goose 1 adult
Canada Goose 140 quick count by tens
Mallard 160 quick count by tens
American Black Duck 4
Northern Pintail 3
Green-winged Teal (American) 56 I couldn't be sure there were no Eurasian teal among them because most were in bad light. All the males I saw close enough were American. There seemed to be considerably more males than females.
American Crow 4

View this checklist online at